The Ultimate Fighter season 10 runner-up Brendan “Big Brown” Schaub, has called time on his MMA career, at least for now. The popular heavyweight leaves with a record of 10 – 5 (6 – 5 UFC).
Schaub, who had originally planned a move to 205, made the announcement to FOX Sports on Friday, but, unlike many who leave the sport, Schaub has very definite plans going forward. “Basically, I don’t want to say anything was planned. I’d love to fight maybe one more time, but I didn’t plan for this ‘Fighter and the Kid’ stuff to take off like it has,” he said. “We landed a big gig on a major network, which I can’t announce yet because we’re still going through negotiations, but I did get the gig and with ‘The Fighter and the Kid’ podcast and now we start shooting in November for ‘The Fighter and the Kid’ video series and the live shows, we’re actually doing a tour now. My first live show was last week at the Brea Improv, which was sold out, and our next one’s sold out in Arizona.”
Schaub has not fought since December 2014 and, following that, there was the infamous Joe Rogan ‘intervention’ pleading for him to retire. So what made Schaub realise the time was right to leave the fight business now?
“I got a call from my manager this morning, Lex McMahon,” Schaub explained. “And he goes ‘hey the UFC needs you to sign this Reebok thing for your name and likeness and I need you to fill out this paperwork for the drug testing’ and I’ve been tested a million times and never taken anything, but it’s just all that stuff came together and we’ve got to make a move here. He said ‘I know your stance on Reebok’ and I said ‘there’s no way I’m signing that thing, I’m not signing anything’,”
At that point, Schaub had a serious decision to make. “He goes ‘well you’ve got to do something here’ and he said ‘if the UFC offered you a fight right now what would you do?’” he continued. “And I said ‘there’s nothing I can do, it doesn’t make sense’. Financially it doesn’t make sense. Logistically it doesn’t make sense. There’s no way I could step away from all the stuff I have going on in entertainment, which was holding things up, because people were worried I was going to jump into camp so this was the right step. To step away and take a break or whatever you want to call it, take a break from the UFC.”
The success Schaub and Brian Callen are having with their ‘Fighter and the Kid’ podcast is the chief reason for Schaub’s decision. Of course, as he mentioned above, he has also been an outspoken critic of the UFC’s Reebok deal, but his foray into entertainment with Callen is taking up much of his time. “Literally, I’m too busy with entertainment to think about anything else.” He said. “No one knows this sport better than I do. I’ve been a fan of this sport since UFC 1 in Denver. I’ve followed this sport, I’ve been obsessed with this sport, I’ve trained with the best of the best and I’ve fought the best of the best. I beat some of the best of the best and I’ve lost to some of the best of the best. To have two feet in entertainment as well as I’m doing and to try and take on some monster right now and who knows who it would be, I just wouldn’t do this sport a service. To say I’m completely out, that’s tough, but for right now there’s no way and I don’t see it happening any time soon. But I will never say never.”
As Schaub stated, ‘never say never’ on the possibility of seeing him fighting again, but he took this decision to step away for now and, he explained why, financially, his decision makes sense. “I would say it’s a positive promotion out of fighting. I was talking to my agent at CAA and my manager, Lex McMahon, and they said ‘let’s just go through the numbers’. It actually costs me money to fight and that’s insane. It’s insane, but I don’t want that as a negative view, it’s insane, but that’s how well things are going.”
However, Schaub wanted to stress that this is not a shot at the UFC. Over the past few months, Schaub has been an outspoken critic on a number of issues with the promotion, but, since he has his own regular podcast, as well as being a recurring guest on Joe Rogan’s podcast, his opinions are continuously in the public domain. He went on to say “I made a good living in the UFC. This isn’t a negative thing. I’ll always love the UFC. I still do “UFC Now” and I love breaking down the fights and I never miss anything and if they need anything they know who to call.”
“I’ll be forever in debt to the UFC. I owe anything I have going on to the UFC and I think a lot of people think because I’m very outspoken and I speak my mind and I’ve never told a lie — that’s the one thing you can say about me is that I’ve never said anything that wasn’t true, from the sponsor money to my negative view on Reebok, I’ve never said anything that wasn’t true — so I think that people see me as an anti-UFC guy but that couldn’t be further from the truth.”
Schaub left the final words of his announcement to pay tribute to some of the unsung heroes who work behind the scenes for the UFC. “I’ll leave it on this — I won’t miss dealing with Dana White and Joe Silva, those guys are rock stars and Dana White makes a billion dollars a year and he’s the Scrooge McDuck of the UFC, that’s great, he has his own thing, but what I will miss are the people behind the scenes. The people who win, lose or draw, knockout or submission, they treated me f**king fabulous. They’re the people who don’t get recognition; Shanda with the social media team, Morgan who deals with appearances and marketing, Burt Watson, the make-up lady, just that whole circus, it’s what makes the UFC, the UFC. The people dealing with the fighters fight in and fight out, those are the people I will 100-percent miss. No matter how stressful the situation was on fight week, those people actually gave a f**k and that’s very rare in professional sports. So I’ll miss them.”
Everyone here at MMA Latest would like to wish Brendan all the best in his future endeavours and, if this is the end of his time as a fighter, thank him for the entertainment he provided during his MMA career.
Exclusive: Derek Brunson: “Anderson was definitely a little lubed up”
Derek Brunson fought Anderson Silva back in February of this year, at UFC 208. Brunson would go on to lose the fight by controversial unanimous decision. However, the controversies didn’t stop at the questionable decision, Brunson also claims Silva was greasing during the fight. The Wilmington, North Carolina native, posted about it on Twitter a few days ago:
Just make sure you don’t put cooking oil all over your body like Anderson did so it’ll be easy to grab ahold of you @lyotomachidafw 👌
— Derek Brunson (@DerekBrunson) October 17, 2017
Speaking with MMA Latest, Brunson explained why he believes Silva was greasing during the fight. “Anderson was definitely a little lubed up. Every time I grabbed him he was just slipping out of everything, and his takedown defense was really good that night. I was definitely curious to know why he was very slippery, which I definitely think he had some kind of substance on his body. He knows I’m a wrestler obviously, he’s an old, savvy veteran, so he was definitely trying to play all the rules and be very strategic, and make it harder for a wrestler to grab him.”
Brunson is set to face Lyoto Machida come October 28, when asked about whether he was worried about Machida greasing, considering Gegard Mousasi accused him of doing so in their fight, Brunson admitted he wasn’t too worried.
“Well I’m not too worried, but like I said, I put it out there because I know they’re friends and I know, obviously, that’s kind of what the guys do when they know they’re fighting a wrestler. They want to lube their body up really good to make it hard to grab hold, Anderson did a great job defending my takedowns. It’s because he was all greased up so he was able to stop a lot of them. When I grab guys in the clinch, it’s very tough for them to get away and I’m pretty good with my Greco takedown. He was pretty much pulling through my clinch when I had a tight grip on him and if you have some kind of substance on your body it’s easy to pull them.”
Neither Silva nor his management have commented on the greasing allegations. Anderson Silva makes his return against Kelvin Gastelum later this year, in China. While Brunson makes his return to the Octagon on October 28th, in Brazil, where he looks to add Lyoto Machida’s name to his impressive list of victories.
Ovince Saint Preux Steps in to Face Corey Anderson at UFC 217
UFC 217 just got even more interesting. Earlier this week, Patrick Cummins pulled out of his light heavyweight matchup with Corey Anderson due to a Staph infection. Corey “Overtime” Anderson was not happy with his opponents decision, even calling out his opponent on Instagram asking how Cummins could, “call it quits so far from fight night”.
The UFC left Anderson on the card, and he found an opponent through the magic of Twitter. Ovince Saint Preux tweeted out directly to Anderson stating:
— Ovince Saint Preux (@003_OSP) October 19, 2017
It didn’t take long for Anderson to respond agreeing to the fight, tagging Mick Maynard and Dana White in his response.
Only a few short hours later, the fight announcement came from the official UFC twitter account.
Fight News update!!
— UFC (@ufc) October 19, 2017
This top 10 Light Heavyweight matchup should add to an already amazing card coming in November at Madison Square Garden. Saint Preux is coming off of back to back wins both due to the very rare von flue choke, he finds himself ranked #7th in the latest edition of the 205-pound rankings. Corey “Overtime” Anderson is 4-2 in his last 6 fights, but is coming off a brutal first round knockout loss to Jimi Manuwa in March.
With such a exciting fight added to this card, what do you see happening November 4th? Will Corey Anderson bounce back and look to jump into the top 5 of the rankings, or will Ovince Saint Preux go for a third straight von flue choke? Let us know.
*Watch* Bellator 185 Weigh in: Live Stream, Results
Watch the live weigh-ins for Bellator 185 here.
Gegard Mousasi takes on Alexander Slemenko live this Friday night October 20th at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville CT. This is the first appearance for Mousasi in the Bellator cage as he looks to secure a title shot with a win over the very tough former Bellator champion Slemenko. Joining these men of the main card will be a pair of welterweights as Neiman Gracie from the famous Gracie BJJ family takes on Zak Bucia in the co-main event.
Full Weigh-in Results: (Updated in real time)
Gegard Mousasi (185) vs. Alexander Shlemenko (186)
Neiman Gracie (170.5) vs. Zak Bucia (170)
Heather Hardy (126) vs. Kristina Williams (126)
Ryan Quinn (155.5) vs. Marcus Surin (155)
Ana Julaton (125.5) vs. Lisa Blaine (122)
Jordan Young (200) vs. Alec Hooben (194)
Costello van Steenis (185) vs. Steve Skrzat (186)
Vinicius de Jesus (170) vs. Joaquin Buckley (171)
John Beneduce (154.5) vs. Dean Hancock (155)
Timothy Wheeler (144) vs. Pete Rogers (144)
Don Shainis (150) vs. Matthew Denning (149)
Frank Sforza (149) vs. Vovka Clay (150)
Kevin Carrier (156) vs. Jose Antonio Perez (153)
John Lopez (126) vs. Billy Giovanella (125)
- Bellator5 days ago
Michael Page Not Focusing on Opponent Ahead of Boxing Debut
- Cage Warriors1 week ago
EXCLUSIVE: Matt Inman Talks Cage Warriors 87, His Love For Fighting And Craig White Possibly Tiring Himself Out.
- News1 week ago
Why the UFC Needs to Introduce 165 and 175-pound Weight Divisions
- Opinion1 week ago
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Robbie Lawler Sets Up Intriguing Title Fight Scenarios
- British1 week ago
EXCLUSIVE: Jack Shore talks Cage Warriors 87 Opponent Change, Pressure and Being Ready for A Big Opportunity
- Opinion5 days ago
A list of fighters who fought Michael Bisping – while on steroids
- Fight Announcements1 week ago
Aldo vs. Lamas 2 and Ponzinibbio vs. Perry Added to UFC Winnipeg
- BAMMA1 week ago
Exclusive: Alex Lohore “Didn’t Know” Who Richard Kiely Was Before BAMMA 32 Booking