Connect with us

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor plans to retire Aldo, move to lightweight

Published

on

UFC interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor has never been one to shy away from making bold claims when it comes to how he sees his UFC future or his opinion of the other fighters in the featherweight division. McGregor continued that trend when he revealed his plans for UFC 194 and beyond at a media lunch in Los Angeles earlier today.

“I’m going to retire Jose and end his career, and then I’m done what I’ve said I would do, I said I would kill the featherweight division – there’s nobody left.”

 

McGregor did say that he would be open to fighting Frankie Edgar as well but said that would only happen “If Frankie was to put on a phenomenal performance and stop Chad (Mendes).” When asked about Chad Mendes’ claim that McGregor only won due to a lack of a proper training camp for Mendes, McGregor responded, “Chad can say it’s cardio, but me and Chad know better.”

When asked about what may follow his fight with Aldo at UFC 194 in December, the outspoken Irishman got straight to the point in saying

“I’m going to unify the belts and destroy the division, and then I’m going to go up and take the lightweight division as well.”

There has been speculation before about if and when McGregor would make the move to lightweight due to the fact that many believe the cut to featherweight is more difficult than the interim champ lets on. McGregor appears to be in the opposite situation of former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar when it comes to weight class. Edgar was always at a size disadvantage in the lightweight division before finding a more natural fit at featherweight while Conor has a consistent advantage in reach and height against his featherweight opponents and would seemingly have no issue competing against the 155 pounders.

Can Conor McGregor follow the path of UFC legends Randy Couture and BJ Penn and become only the third fighter to win a title in multiple weight classes? He’s backed up his claims so far but Mystic Mac better not look past UFC 194 and his long awaited bout with Jose Aldo since Aldo would love nothing more than to derail the McGregor hype train and put a stop to the Irishman’s goals before they can even get started.

 

Onnit Primal Bells

Conor McGregor

Dana White gives an update on the lightweight title picture

Published

on

When it comes to the lightweight division there is always a lot of talk with very little clarification. But now it seems Dana White has had enough of waiting for champion Conor McGregor and plans to move on in his absence.

“The Notorious” Conor McGregor won the UFC lightweight title back in November 2016 at UFC 205 where he became the first fighter to hold two belts simultaneously, however, he has not competed in MMA since.

Speaking on Sunday night’s after UFC Fight Night St. Louis UFC President Dana White said “Conor has said he is thinking about coming back in September if he comes back in September that’s almost two years, that can’t happen. It’s not fair to everybody else. Love Conor, respect Conor, love everything he’s done for this company, everybody knows that I say it all the time. The belt would have to move on.”

White also spoke about the two men that would fight for the lightweight belt saying “You do Khabib versus Tony, we’re working on that fight now and if and when Conor comes back he would get the first crack at the title.”

Then when presenter Karyn Bryant pushed for clarification and asked: “So you’re saying that Conor could possibly be stripped of his title?” Dana responded without hesitation “absolutely”.

The news will excite UFC fans across the globe who have been clamoring for the Ferguson vs Khabib matchup which they have been denied on three separate occasions. No date was confirmed for the potential matchup but rumors have been circulating that the UFC is targeting UFC 223 in April.

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov’s win at UFC 219

Published

on

On Saturday night the world watched as Khabib Nurmagomedov dismantled the striking expert Edson Barboza at UFC 219. The reactions were filled with praise for the undefeated Russian fighter. Media members and fans alike were calling Nurmagomedov one of the best lightweights in the world, but there is one man the world was waiting to hear from, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. McGregor was silent following the fight between Nurmagomedov and Barboza, that is until Monday morning when he took to Twitter to state his opinion about the Number one contender.

“Truly truly truly get on your fucking knees and beg me,” McGregor wrote on Twitter.  “Otherwise, I don’t give a bollox.  My whiskey is out this year and that’s Diddy bread.” The whiskey that McGregor is referring to is his very own grand that he announced would be coming out following his loss to Floyd Mayweather this past August.

Rumors about McGregor’s return have ranged from him retiring from fighting to live a life of wealth with his family, to expect his return to the UFC this summer. No one really knows if McGregor will ever defend his UFC lightweight belt, but if he is to do so UFC President Dana White has said that it will be against interim champion Tony Ferguson.

Ferguson was also seeking a fight with Nurmagomedov prior to winning the interim belt against Kevin Lee. It is entirely possible that we will see these two battle for the interim title in the octagon before we see the return of Conor McGregor. Of course, these days there are no guarantees in regards to title contention, McGregor and his camp have publically stated that they would like to face Nurmagomedov in his home country of Russia. 

 

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has ‘Every intention of fighting in 2018’

Published

on

Despite being inactive since his historic boxing bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August, Conor McGregor is never far from the headlines. Recently his out of cage antics have got people questioning if he’ll ever be back.

Thankfully the UFC lightweight champion appears to have cleared up any rumors about his fighting career.

Speaking to his sponsor Betsafe, the “Notorious” Conor McGregor said “My focus is getting back into the right ring or octagon. 2017 was historic. I have transcended both the sport of MMA and boxing. At this stage of my career, as it has been for the majority of my UFC career, potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere. I run the fight game, the fashion game, the whiskey game or whatever the next business endeavor might be”.

McGregor added, “I have every intention of fighting in 2018 if my compensation and business development endeavors accurately reflect my influence on combat sports.”

This comes just two weeks after UFC President Dana White told reporters “Conor might never fight again. The guy’s got $100 (expletive) million. I’ve got guys that made less than that and were lawyers and went to school their whole life and quit working.”

White went on to say “Try to get up and get punched in the face every day when you’ve got $100 million in the bank. Money changes everything with a lot of people.”

White also told reporters that the “Notorious one”, “can’t be paid enough money” and that he is “worth every penny and more.” McGregor’s recent statement suggests he knows that and won’t be back till his demands are met.

The UFC lightweight division has been stalled in the absence of the champion McGregor and now the interim champion Tony Ferguson has undergone surgery. The UFC has been known the remove belts from fighters who have been delayed for extended amounts of time, this would be highly unlikely with the popularity of McGregor.

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Trending