Floyd Mayweather Jr. took to Instagram on Tuesday to set the record straight that no deal has been made to meet Conor Mcgregor in the center of the ring anytime soon. Stating that he is happily retired.
Shortly before Mayweather posted to Instagram, UFC President Dana White reached out via text to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto: “No deal is even close to being done.”
ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith said he spoke to Mayweather on Saturday night at the Warriors-Thunder basketball game that both men were attending, claiming Mayweather had said, “We’re getting very, very close,” to the super fight.
Earlier Tuesday Okamoto was informed by sources that McGregor had arrived in Las Vegas on Monday evening, prior to meeting with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on his actions at a UFC News Conference last summer.
Prior to Mayweather’s post on Instagram, Tuesday the NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell confirmed that the commission was aware of negotiations between the two champs, but said the fight still faced several challenges before coming to fruition
It is uncertain if the negotiations have ended due to the post of Mayweather.
“There is a lot of real stuff going on,” Marnell said. “It still seems like a long shot, but when there is a lot of money involved people tend to figure it out. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I’m not sure if we’re going to eat.”
“The Nevada Athletic Commission, in my head experience, has always been well briefed by all parties on an event or potential event that may take place in Las Vegas. We are aware of conversations and information that has been disclosed in the media. Whether these conversations will get to a point that a fight happens, I can’t tell you.”
For nearly a year Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor have had a back and forth battle within social media, and in the public eye on the two squaring off.
Conor Mcgregor is still under contract with the UFC banner, Marnell had mentioned that as a set back in any boxing match. Although McGregor successfully applied for a boxing license in California back in December Marnell explained, “People are under certain contractual obligations that need to get figured out.”
Another setback that could be the biggest of all is money. Last month, Dana White offered McGregor and Mayweather $25 million to each fighter to compete. When Mayweather was told of the offer by TMZ, Mayweather responded, “He’s a f—ing comedian!”
All the while despite being offered $25 million, McGregor has demanded $100 million for the fight and said he is willing to compete with or without the UFC being involved. White then promised that won’t go well for the rising star.
“It is what it is now,” White told ESPN last week. “He came out and said, “I can do this without them. I guarantee you, He can’t do it without us. What I then said was, I’ve always been respectful of Conor, the things he wants to do and everything else. If he wants to go down that road it will be an epic fall. Everybody knows what that means”
With money being such a big reason hindering this bout, Marnell explains “I’m confirming that real people are having real discussions.” Marnell said. “I’m also telling you my opinion as for the Nevada Athletic Commission chairman that a lot of things need to get done to see something like this come together because there are so many parties that want to get their hands on the pot.”
“Maybe it will get figured out, but it’s going to be hard when everyone is declaring they want $100 million. That’s not what I said — that’s what they’ve said. That’s their quotes, not mine. If everyone wants $100 million, that’s a lot of $100 million’s to go around.”
Dana White gives an update on the lightweight title picture
When it comes to the lightweight division there is always a lot of talk with very little clarification. But now it seems Dana White has had enough of waiting for champion Conor McGregor and plans to move on in his absence.
“The Notorious” Conor McGregor won the UFC lightweight title back in November 2016 at UFC 205 where he became the first fighter to hold two belts simultaneously, however, he has not competed in MMA since.
Speaking on Sunday night’s after UFC Fight Night St. Louis UFC President Dana White said “Conor has said he is thinking about coming back in September if he comes back in September that’s almost two years, that can’t happen. It’s not fair to everybody else. Love Conor, respect Conor, love everything he’s done for this company, everybody knows that I say it all the time. The belt would have to move on.”
White also spoke about the two men that would fight for the lightweight belt saying “You do Khabib versus Tony, we’re working on that fight now and if and when Conor comes back he would get the first crack at the title.”
Then when presenter Karyn Bryant pushed for clarification and asked: “So you’re saying that Conor could possibly be stripped of his title?” Dana responded without hesitation “absolutely”.
"Conor has said he's thinking about coming back in September. If he comes back in September, that's almost two years…that can't happen." — @danawhite
— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) January 15, 2018
The news will excite UFC fans across the globe who have been clamoring for the Ferguson vs Khabib matchup which they have been denied on three separate occasions. No date was confirmed for the potential matchup but rumors have been circulating that the UFC is targeting UFC 223 in April.
Conor McGregor reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov’s win at UFC 219
On Saturday night the world watched as Khabib Nurmagomedov dismantled the striking expert Edson Barboza at UFC 219. The reactions were filled with praise for the undefeated Russian fighter. Media members and fans alike were calling Nurmagomedov one of the best lightweights in the world, but there is one man the world was waiting to hear from, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. McGregor was silent following the fight between Nurmagomedov and Barboza, that is until Monday morning when he took to Twitter to state his opinion about the Number one contender.
That Dagestani was dog shit the other night you's are all nuts. Game full of sloppy bums asking to be slept. Pay me my worth and Kings back.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) January 1, 2018
Truly truly truly get on your fucking knees and beg me. Otherwise I don't give a bollox.
My whiskey is out this year and thats Diddy bread.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) January 1, 2018
“Truly truly truly get on your fucking knees and beg me,” McGregor wrote on Twitter. “Otherwise, I don’t give a bollox. My whiskey is out this year and that’s Diddy bread.” The whiskey that McGregor is referring to is his very own grand that he announced would be coming out following his loss to Floyd Mayweather this past August.
Rumors about McGregor’s return have ranged from him retiring from fighting to live a life of wealth with his family, to expect his return to the UFC this summer. No one really knows if McGregor will ever defend his UFC lightweight belt, but if he is to do so UFC President Dana White has said that it will be against interim champion Tony Ferguson.
Ferguson was also seeking a fight with Nurmagomedov prior to winning the interim belt against Kevin Lee. It is entirely possible that we will see these two battle for the interim title in the octagon before we see the return of Conor McGregor. Of course, these days there are no guarantees in regards to title contention, McGregor and his camp have publically stated that they would like to face Nurmagomedov in his home country of Russia.
Conor McGregor has ‘Every intention of fighting in 2018’
Despite being inactive since his historic boxing bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August, Conor McGregor is never far from the headlines. Recently his out of cage antics have got people questioning if he’ll ever be back.
Thankfully the UFC lightweight champion appears to have cleared up any rumors about his fighting career.
Speaking to his sponsor Betsafe, the “Notorious” Conor McGregor said “My focus is getting back into the right ring or octagon. 2017 was historic. I have transcended both the sport of MMA and boxing. At this stage of my career, as it has been for the majority of my UFC career, potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere. I run the fight game, the fashion game, the whiskey game or whatever the next business endeavor might be”.
McGregor added, “I have every intention of fighting in 2018 if my compensation and business development endeavors accurately reflect my influence on combat sports.”
This comes just two weeks after UFC President Dana White told reporters “Conor might never fight again. The guy’s got $100 (expletive) million. I’ve got guys that made less than that and were lawyers and went to school their whole life and quit working.”
White went on to say “Try to get up and get punched in the face every day when you’ve got $100 million in the bank. Money changes everything with a lot of people.”
White also told reporters that the “Notorious one”, “can’t be paid enough money” and that he is “worth every penny and more.” McGregor’s recent statement suggests he knows that and won’t be back till his demands are met.
The UFC lightweight division has been stalled in the absence of the champion McGregor and now the interim champion Tony Ferguson has undergone surgery. The UFC has been known the remove belts from fighters who have been delayed for extended amounts of time, this would be highly unlikely with the popularity of McGregor.
- Interviews3 months ago
Exclusive: Alexander Gustafsson eyeing summer 2018 return- wants title shot next
- Opinion4 months ago
A list of fighters who fought Michael Bisping – while on steroids
- Interviews4 months ago
Sage Northcutt on Moving to Sacramento and Life at Team Alpha Male
- Cage Warriors4 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Matt Inman Talks Cage Warriors 87, His Love For Fighting And Craig White Possibly Tiring Himself Out.
- Rumours3 years ago
Proto MMA History: The Day Antonio Inoki Almost Killed The Great Antonio
- BAMMA3 months ago
BAMMA 32: Official Results and Live Stream
- Interviews4 months ago
Tim Means on Lawsuit Against Supplement Companies “I’m Going to Shut Them Down”
- Interviews4 months ago
Exclusive: Derek Brunson: “Anderson was definitely a little lubed up”