Connect with us

Conor McGregor

Frankie Edgar says he will beat McGregor not once, but twice!!

Jim Edwards

Published

on

The UFC’s number one contender for Conor McGregor’s featherweight title, Franke Edgar, today spoke out saying he can see himself not only taking McGregor’s 145lbs belt, but also his 155lbs lightweight belt should the Dubliner beat Rafael Dos Anjos in March.

In spite of being on a run of five straight wins against the likes of BJ Penn, Urijah Faber and Chad Mendes, Edgar has had a frustrating time of late having been overlooked for a title shot on more than one occasion.

Despite being proclaimed the number one contender for McGregor’s belt by UFC President Dana White back in December, Edgar now finds himself once again on the sidelines waiting for his shot at the gold, with McGregor currently chasing after the UFC lightweight title.

Rumours are already starting to circulate that Edgar will have to face Jose Aldo whilst McGregor is occupied with Dos Anjos, however, speaking to Fox Sports earlier this week, the New Jersey native felt content to wait for his shot at the Irishmen a little while longer at UFC 200:

“I think that is the biggest fight, I think that’s the fight most people are interested in seeing and I’m hoping the UFC does the right thing and books me and Conor for UFC 200,” Edgar said to FOX Sports.

Edgar however, wasn’t quite so confident that McGregor will beat Dos Anjos on March 5th and revealed he believes the Brazilian could be the first man to defeat McGregor in the UFC:

“It gives a bigger aura to Conor and his image and what he’s done and it definitely makes it a bigger fight. But I’m buddies with Rafael and I’m not one to throw daggers at anybody and wish anyone bad. I think he’s a very tough fight for Conor, he [Dos Anjos] has all the skills to beat him.”

Should McGregor beat Dos Anjos and be the first person to ever hold two UFC titles at any on time, Edgar feels he could repeat the feat only a matter of months later by defeating McGregor back-to-back and taking both titles from him:

“I’d love to,” Edgar said. “We can do it back-to-back and that will be UFC 204 or whatever, that would be the next biggest fight. I’m game. If they let me get my hands on him once, I’ll definitely re-do it,” he said.

Back at UFC 194 when McGregor defeated Jose Aldo, Edgar was stopped entering the Octagon by UFC president Dana White. At UFC 197, Edgar is going to make sure his presence is felt by any means possible:

“I’m hoping I get to fight on the biggest card in UFC history [UFC 200] and make history by winning two titles,” Edgar said. “I will be there March 5 and maybe I’ll have to parachute my ass into that Octagon, they can’t get me out of there.”

For the minute, it appears Edgar must wait with baited breath to see whether McGregor can come out of his fight with Dos Anjos relatively unscathed before he can start pencilling in the calendar his shot at the featherweight strap at UFC 200.

Onnit Primal Bells

Conor McGregor

Dana White gives an update on the lightweight title picture

Published

on

When it comes to the lightweight division there is always a lot of talk with very little clarification. But now it seems Dana White has had enough of waiting for champion Conor McGregor and plans to move on in his absence.

“The Notorious” Conor McGregor won the UFC lightweight title back in November 2016 at UFC 205 where he became the first fighter to hold two belts simultaneously, however, he has not competed in MMA since.

Speaking on Sunday night’s after UFC Fight Night St. Louis UFC President Dana White said “Conor has said he is thinking about coming back in September if he comes back in September that’s almost two years, that can’t happen. It’s not fair to everybody else. Love Conor, respect Conor, love everything he’s done for this company, everybody knows that I say it all the time. The belt would have to move on.”

White also spoke about the two men that would fight for the lightweight belt saying “You do Khabib versus Tony, we’re working on that fight now and if and when Conor comes back he would get the first crack at the title.”

Then when presenter Karyn Bryant pushed for clarification and asked: “So you’re saying that Conor could possibly be stripped of his title?” Dana responded without hesitation “absolutely”.

The news will excite UFC fans across the globe who have been clamoring for the Ferguson vs Khabib matchup which they have been denied on three separate occasions. No date was confirmed for the potential matchup but rumors have been circulating that the UFC is targeting UFC 223 in April.

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov’s win at UFC 219

Published

on

On Saturday night the world watched as Khabib Nurmagomedov dismantled the striking expert Edson Barboza at UFC 219. The reactions were filled with praise for the undefeated Russian fighter. Media members and fans alike were calling Nurmagomedov one of the best lightweights in the world, but there is one man the world was waiting to hear from, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. McGregor was silent following the fight between Nurmagomedov and Barboza, that is until Monday morning when he took to Twitter to state his opinion about the Number one contender.

“Truly truly truly get on your fucking knees and beg me,” McGregor wrote on Twitter.  “Otherwise, I don’t give a bollox.  My whiskey is out this year and that’s Diddy bread.” The whiskey that McGregor is referring to is his very own grand that he announced would be coming out following his loss to Floyd Mayweather this past August.

Rumors about McGregor’s return have ranged from him retiring from fighting to live a life of wealth with his family, to expect his return to the UFC this summer. No one really knows if McGregor will ever defend his UFC lightweight belt, but if he is to do so UFC President Dana White has said that it will be against interim champion Tony Ferguson.

Ferguson was also seeking a fight with Nurmagomedov prior to winning the interim belt against Kevin Lee. It is entirely possible that we will see these two battle for the interim title in the octagon before we see the return of Conor McGregor. Of course, these days there are no guarantees in regards to title contention, McGregor and his camp have publically stated that they would like to face Nurmagomedov in his home country of Russia. 

 

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has ‘Every intention of fighting in 2018’

Published

on

Despite being inactive since his historic boxing bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August, Conor McGregor is never far from the headlines. Recently his out of cage antics have got people questioning if he’ll ever be back.

Thankfully the UFC lightweight champion appears to have cleared up any rumors about his fighting career.

Speaking to his sponsor Betsafe, the “Notorious” Conor McGregor said “My focus is getting back into the right ring or octagon. 2017 was historic. I have transcended both the sport of MMA and boxing. At this stage of my career, as it has been for the majority of my UFC career, potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere. I run the fight game, the fashion game, the whiskey game or whatever the next business endeavor might be”.

McGregor added, “I have every intention of fighting in 2018 if my compensation and business development endeavors accurately reflect my influence on combat sports.”

This comes just two weeks after UFC President Dana White told reporters “Conor might never fight again. The guy’s got $100 (expletive) million. I’ve got guys that made less than that and were lawyers and went to school their whole life and quit working.”

White went on to say “Try to get up and get punched in the face every day when you’ve got $100 million in the bank. Money changes everything with a lot of people.”

White also told reporters that the “Notorious one”, “can’t be paid enough money” and that he is “worth every penny and more.” McGregor’s recent statement suggests he knows that and won’t be back till his demands are met.

The UFC lightweight division has been stalled in the absence of the champion McGregor and now the interim champion Tony Ferguson has undergone surgery. The UFC has been known the remove belts from fighters who have been delayed for extended amounts of time, this would be highly unlikely with the popularity of McGregor.

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Trending