Conor McGregor has oozed confidence from the moment he burst from obscurity to superstardom. “The Notorious” has mapped his path during the past three years and over the weekend the Irishman made his most grandiose prediction yet.
“A guy said to me, why conquer one world when you can conquer two? So I’m going to conquer two worlds,” McGregor said to MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani during a one on one interview in Manchester this past Saturday.
McGregor, of course, was referring to the much-hyped potential boxing match with the only man in combat sports that can match his braggadocio, Floyd Mayweather. Whether or not the potential blockbuster fight comes to fruition remains to be seen, however, McGregor certainly has his sights set on transcending realms and stepping into the squared circle.
“One hundred percent, I believe the next time I step into a combat arena will be through the ropes wearing ten ounces, or eight-ounce gloves. I believe so.”
Just like Icarus, McGregor has consistently attempted to fly as close to the sun as possible. Breaking down barriers is what he has been all about. Over the last three years, he has made one outlandish claim after the other, backing each one up in fine fashion and laughing all the way to the bank in the process.
And while McGregor’s focus shifts away from the Octagon, his detractors continue to bemoan the large shadow he casts over the UFC.
Recently Nate Diaz sought to gain his boxing license shortly after McGregor was granted a license to box in California and now, Jose Aldo seems to be following suit. While speaking to Guilherme Cruz of MMAFighting.com, the Brazilian champion claimed he too would be interested in competing in professional boxing.
“I respect every boxer, but I want to start from the bottom. I want a career in boxing. That was my biggest dream, to one day become a champion in MMA and boxing. That is my biggest dream.”
Aldo is undoubtedly one of MMA’s greatest champions. However this announcement comes at a strange time considering only months ago he announced his intent to retire from MMA in favour of pursuing football or soccer, whichever term you prefer.
At that particular time, Aldo was clearly upset with the UFC and their apparent unwillingness to grant him a rematch with McGregor, perhaps rightfully so. Once again it appears that Jose’s stance stems from his desire to rewrite the 13-second bludgeoning from history.
“I hope Conor gets f***ed, that’s what matters to me, I don’t give a damn about him. I’ve already said he’s sh*t, so what he does or doesn’t do, I don’t care.”
The anger towards McGregor is understandable and is unlikely to dissipate anytime soon. His absence at 145 pounds, led to a contender logjam until he was stripped of the belt in November, somewhat restoring order to the featherweight division.
The Irishman is expected to take an extended break for the birth of his first child. A tentative May return date was thrown out by Dana White. His announcement that he intends to get the Mayweather fight made, by late 2017 at best threatens to throw the lightweight division into disarray as well.
Aldo’s motives for exploring the boxing route are noteworthy, however, the comments from his coach Andre Pederneiras told another story.
“McGregor has to fight and defend his title at lightweight, but he knows if he gets Khabib or Ferguson, I don’t know how that fight will be,” Pederneiras said. “ I think he’s afraid of this fight more than anything- except fighting Aldo again because relinquishing a belt to avoid a rematch, I don’t think you can be more afraid than that.”
This is not the first time this accusation has been thrown McGregor’s way. In recent months it has come from Khabib Nurmagomedov and countless others. In fact, Aldo first brought the subject up in an Instagram post last year. The response back then… Crickets.
A man seemingly hell bent on risking everything each time he competes and a mantra of “show me the money,” McGregor is not going to be drawn into a fight this way and everyone not named Nathan Diaz should catch on quick. Diaz blasted McGregor last year with his now infamous post-fight interview on Fox. It forced people to take notice, culminating in the two biggest pay days of Nate’s career.
Conor McGregor is setting himself up to tear down another barrier. Facing Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring is as admirable as it is stupid, but McGregor’s star will undoubtedly continue to grow. Though it will pain them to admit it, Aldo and co, continue to drift further away from a showdown with the Irish champion than ever before.
Dana White gives an update on the lightweight title picture
When it comes to the lightweight division there is always a lot of talk with very little clarification. But now it seems Dana White has had enough of waiting for champion Conor McGregor and plans to move on in his absence.
“The Notorious” Conor McGregor won the UFC lightweight title back in November 2016 at UFC 205 where he became the first fighter to hold two belts simultaneously, however, he has not competed in MMA since.
Speaking on Sunday night’s after UFC Fight Night St. Louis UFC President Dana White said “Conor has said he is thinking about coming back in September if he comes back in September that’s almost two years, that can’t happen. It’s not fair to everybody else. Love Conor, respect Conor, love everything he’s done for this company, everybody knows that I say it all the time. The belt would have to move on.”
White also spoke about the two men that would fight for the lightweight belt saying “You do Khabib versus Tony, we’re working on that fight now and if and when Conor comes back he would get the first crack at the title.”
Then when presenter Karyn Bryant pushed for clarification and asked: “So you’re saying that Conor could possibly be stripped of his title?” Dana responded without hesitation “absolutely”.
"Conor has said he's thinking about coming back in September. If he comes back in September, that's almost two years…that can't happen." — @danawhite
— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) January 15, 2018
The news will excite UFC fans across the globe who have been clamoring for the Ferguson vs Khabib matchup which they have been denied on three separate occasions. No date was confirmed for the potential matchup but rumors have been circulating that the UFC is targeting UFC 223 in April.
Conor McGregor reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov’s win at UFC 219
On Saturday night the world watched as Khabib Nurmagomedov dismantled the striking expert Edson Barboza at UFC 219. The reactions were filled with praise for the undefeated Russian fighter. Media members and fans alike were calling Nurmagomedov one of the best lightweights in the world, but there is one man the world was waiting to hear from, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. McGregor was silent following the fight between Nurmagomedov and Barboza, that is until Monday morning when he took to Twitter to state his opinion about the Number one contender.
That Dagestani was dog shit the other night you's are all nuts. Game full of sloppy bums asking to be slept. Pay me my worth and Kings back.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) January 1, 2018
Truly truly truly get on your fucking knees and beg me. Otherwise I don't give a bollox.
My whiskey is out this year and thats Diddy bread.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) January 1, 2018
“Truly truly truly get on your fucking knees and beg me,” McGregor wrote on Twitter. “Otherwise, I don’t give a bollox. My whiskey is out this year and that’s Diddy bread.” The whiskey that McGregor is referring to is his very own grand that he announced would be coming out following his loss to Floyd Mayweather this past August.
Rumors about McGregor’s return have ranged from him retiring from fighting to live a life of wealth with his family, to expect his return to the UFC this summer. No one really knows if McGregor will ever defend his UFC lightweight belt, but if he is to do so UFC President Dana White has said that it will be against interim champion Tony Ferguson.
Ferguson was also seeking a fight with Nurmagomedov prior to winning the interim belt against Kevin Lee. It is entirely possible that we will see these two battle for the interim title in the octagon before we see the return of Conor McGregor. Of course, these days there are no guarantees in regards to title contention, McGregor and his camp have publically stated that they would like to face Nurmagomedov in his home country of Russia.
Conor McGregor has ‘Every intention of fighting in 2018’
Despite being inactive since his historic boxing bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August, Conor McGregor is never far from the headlines. Recently his out of cage antics have got people questioning if he’ll ever be back.
Thankfully the UFC lightweight champion appears to have cleared up any rumors about his fighting career.
Speaking to his sponsor Betsafe, the “Notorious” Conor McGregor said “My focus is getting back into the right ring or octagon. 2017 was historic. I have transcended both the sport of MMA and boxing. At this stage of my career, as it has been for the majority of my UFC career, potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere. I run the fight game, the fashion game, the whiskey game or whatever the next business endeavor might be”.
McGregor added, “I have every intention of fighting in 2018 if my compensation and business development endeavors accurately reflect my influence on combat sports.”
This comes just two weeks after UFC President Dana White told reporters “Conor might never fight again. The guy’s got $100 (expletive) million. I’ve got guys that made less than that and were lawyers and went to school their whole life and quit working.”
White went on to say “Try to get up and get punched in the face every day when you’ve got $100 million in the bank. Money changes everything with a lot of people.”
White also told reporters that the “Notorious one”, “can’t be paid enough money” and that he is “worth every penny and more.” McGregor’s recent statement suggests he knows that and won’t be back till his demands are met.
The UFC lightweight division has been stalled in the absence of the champion McGregor and now the interim champion Tony Ferguson has undergone surgery. The UFC has been known the remove belts from fighters who have been delayed for extended amounts of time, this would be highly unlikely with the popularity of McGregor.
- Opinion3 months ago
A list of fighters who fought Michael Bisping – while on steroids
- Interviews1 month ago
Exclusive: Alexander Gustafsson eyeing summer 2018 return- wants title shot next
- Interviews3 months ago
Sage Northcutt on Moving to Sacramento and Life at Team Alpha Male
- Cage Warriors3 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Matt Inman Talks Cage Warriors 87, His Love For Fighting And Craig White Possibly Tiring Himself Out.
- Rumours3 years ago
Proto MMA History: The Day Antonio Inoki Almost Killed The Great Antonio
- BAMMA2 months ago
BAMMA 32: Official Results and Live Stream
- Interviews3 months ago
Tim Means on Lawsuit Against Supplement Companies “I’m Going to Shut Them Down”
- Interviews3 months ago
Exclusive: Derek Brunson: “Anderson was definitely a little lubed up”