Connect with us

Announcement

Police arrest man in connection with death of Jordan Parsons

Matthew Wells

Published

on

After a six-day search, an arrest has been made in connection with the hit and run accident that lead to the death of 26-year old Bellator MMA fighter, Jordan Parsons. The Delray Beach Police Department have arrested Dennis Wright, who is accused of driving the grey Range Rover that struck Parsons at a high rate of speed, and then left the scene of the crime.

The Delray Beach Police Department have arrested Dennis Wright, 28, who is accused of driving the grey Range Rover that struck Parsons at a high rate of speed, and then left the scene of the crime. According to the police, Wright has a criminal history that includes, “arrests for DUI, disorderly intoxication, marijuana possession and assault on an officer or firefighter, among other charges.” The statement from the police department mentions Wright was at a bar with friends the evening of the accident, however, it is unclear whether or not he was intoxicated while operating the vehicle involved in the crash.

The Delray Beach Police Department released this statement on their official Facebook page:

After an intense, six-day investigation, DBPD traffic homicide investigators have arrested a 28-year-old Boca Raton man for the fatal crash that took the life of 25-year-old MMA fighter Jordan Parsons. Dennis Wright, whose license has been suspended six times, is facing multiple charges, including leaving the scene of a crash causing death. Investigators have recovered the damaged 2013 Range Rover Sport involved in the crash.

The crash happened at 12:33 a.m. May 1. Parsons was walking across Federal Highway at Lindell Boulevard. Wright, whose driver license is suspended, was driving his mother’s Range Rover south on Federal. A witness told investigators he thinks Wright was driving between 100 and 120 miles per hour when he hit Parsons, who was in the crosswalk. Parsons was wearing headphones and may have not heard the SUV coming.

Wright never stopped. Neither did his friends driving behind him in their Mercedes, which followed the Range Rover as it continued southbound. Meanwhile, DBPD Officer Derek Chahine, who had been nearby on a traffic stop, used a medical blanket from the trunk of his patrol car to apply pressure to Parson’s catastrophic leg injury until Delray Beach Fire Rescue arrived and transported Parsons to Delray Medical Center. He died May 4 from injuries sustained in the crash.

The following day, an anonymous tipster gave investigators Wright’s name. They quickly discovered that Wright’s mother owns a grey 2013 Range Rover Sport and were able to determine that Wright was driving the vehicle the night of the crash. Wright made an effort to have the damaged Range Rover repaired at a local body shop, but the owner refused to do the work, so Wright rented a bay at a storage facility and hid the SUV. Investigators recovered it on Friday, and it was missing the driver’s side mirror officers recovered at the scene. Wright, who arrived at the police department Saturday afternoon with his attorney, also faces charges of driving while license suspended as a habitual offender and tampering with evidence. His criminal history includes arrests for DUI, disorderly intoxication, marijuana possession and assault on an officer or firefighter, among other charges.

The crash investigation is ongoing. Witnesses told investigators that Wright was at Buddha Sky Bar on East Atlantic Avenue Saturday night with friends. If anyone has information about Wright’s whereabouts that night, please contact Officer Ron Brown or Sgt. Jeffrey Rasor at (561) 243-7800.”

The following photos were also included with the statement:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Since the incident on Sunday, May 1 the police have been investigating what exactly happened at 12:33 in the morning to Parsons. Shortly after being transported to the hospital, the injuries sustained required an amputation of the right leg of Parsons. Parsons’ Blackzillians teammate and good friend Rashad Evans would also share on Instagram that he was in a coma. Despite the best attempts from the medical staff, Parsons would pass away at the Delray Medical Center on Wednesday, May 4 as a result of the injuries from the accident.


 

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Announcement

UFC looks for undefeated fighters for the next season of TUF

Published

on

As the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter comes to a close in a few weeks, UFC has set tryouts for the next season of The Ultimate Fighter on December 12th but there is a catch, participates must hold an undefeated record.

Titled The Ultimate Fighter 27: Battle of the Undefeated, the next installment of TUF will be looking for male fighters with an undefeated record with a minimum of 3-0 to apply for the show. The casting call asks for featherweights and welterweights but in the early stages of tryouts, a weight class will be decided later in the process.

Fighters must be aged between 21 – 34 and will grapple and light spar in front of UFC matchmakers and must be prepared to stay in Vegas until December 16th.

It is unknown what the future of TUF will be after the TV deal with FOX ends next year but the show has been a success for the company and many fighters to emerge from The Ultimate Fighter have become champion including current interim Lightweight champion Tony Ferguson, Bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw and Strawweight champion Rose Namajunas coming from past seasons of the show.

This will be the third time in a row that a gimmick will be added to the show that has been on the decline in the ratings in recent years but yet to use only undefeated fighters. An undefeated streak can be one of the most prestigious records to keep in mixed martial arts with the wins and losses being so vital in a fighters career.

Who will keep their zero? Who will be the next Ultimate Fighter? Who will be the coaches?

These questions will be answered when the new season of TUF begins shooting in January and the show premiering later in the year.

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Announcement

Tom Gallicchio on UFC Release “It’s Been a Dream of Mine to Fight in KSW”

Harry Davies

Published

on

MMA Latest spoke to TUF 22 and 25 season competitor Tom Gallicchio about being cut from the UFC, and potential promotions that he could sign for in the future.

Gallicchio (19-10) signed for the UFC after reaching the semi-finals of The Ultimate Fighter: Season 25. Losing to James Krause in his debut, “Da Tank” was informed earlier this month that the UFC had parted ways with him.


Q: Before we jump into the whole free agency stuff, talk me through how the UFC broke the news that they were going to release you?

I thought I was going to have another fight, this time at lightweight. I got a letter dated July 7th, saying they were going to keep me, I received it in September. I was getting emails to update my USADA, I never got a cut letter and I got tested by USADA on October 24th. I was hoping to fight sometime in January or February, then they broke the news to me that they need to make a room for new talent.

Q: You made your UFC debut against James Krause in July, then 4 months down the line, they cut you. How surprised were you at this somewhat out of the blue decision?

I’m thankful for my opportunity in the UFC and the fact that they gave me another shot, but it was definitely surprising how it happened.  They released a newsletter in September welcoming Jesse (Taylor) Dhiego (Lima) and myself into the UFC, all signs pointed towards another fight. Hearing that I was cut was just heartbreaking.

Q: Have any talks started with a new promotion. I saw you name a few on Twitter, the likes of  Bellator, BAMMA, KSW and ACB. Who do you see yourself signing for?

I would love to compete in any of those! A couple of them hit me up, one of which I am very happy to talk with. Since they came out, It’s been a dream of mine to fight in KSW. They’re taking care of their fighters, I would love to fight for them. I want to travel, I want to see the world, I want to fight. I’ve got a lot of fans overseas and I want to give them a show.

It’s been a dream of mine to fight in KSW.

Q: Your long time friend Jesse Taylor was victorious in the TUF 25 Finale, but he has since accepted a 1-year ban for failing a USADA test. What is your take on this given how close you two are?

I know Jesse is not a juicer, I’ve known him ever since I came down to (Team) Quest. It’s probably come from some supplement that he’s taking, it sucks for him. I think he went into a little bit of panic mode, he could have done a better job of handling it.

I don’t take supplements, if there was a way, I’d still keep myself in the USADA pool just because I believe in a clean sport. I think it’s important we keep the sport clean and if we’re cleaning up the supplement companies then good, because no one else is.

Where would you look to see Tom fight next? Let us know below!

 

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Announcement

Darren Till vs Stephen Thompson set for February 24th in England

Published

on

Stephen Thompson

Wow! Nobody could have expected this news this morning. Dana White has stated he is moving the UFC Fight Night card in Orlando, Florida to the UK so rising star Darren Till (16-0-1) can face Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson (14-2-1) in his backyard.

According to Lance Pugmire of the LA Times, Dana White revealed the news during a Q&A in Santa Monica, California.

Logistically this fight has its problems. White didn’t state that the fight was scheduled to take place in Liverpool, I assume that is plan A for the UFC though. However, on the 24th the Echo Arena in Liverpool is booked by the UK MMA promotion, Cage Warriors.

Although White may be able to throw some money at the promotion, it is unlikely they’ll budge. Another possibility is to co-promote an event with Cage Warriors, but that’s even more unlikely, even though the concept is a great one.

The fight would not make sense in another UK city like Glasgow, Birmingham or Newcastle. Making the fight is strange if it’s unable to be in Liverpool, or at the top of the UFC London card.

🦍 #UFCLiverpool

A post shared by Till (@darrentill2) on

The event would be three weeks before UFC London, which is unheard of for events over in Europe. Normally England would be lucky to get two events in a year, let alone a month. Which makes you think it will either be one or the other. European cards are never typically stacked and having two in the space of three weeks in one country would eat into the quality on show in each card.

Could this be another case of Dana White talking too soon, or are we set for two mega UFC fights in the space of three weeks in the UK. We’ll find out soon enough.

Onnit Primal Bells
Continue Reading

Trending