Shinya Aoki successfully defended the One Championship lightweight title for the second time after gaining a unanimous decision win over Koji Ando on One Championship: Warrior’s Quest. However, his next title defense might not happen by the end of 2015.
Recently, Fight Network Canada reported that a super fight between Shinya Aoki and Bibiano Fernandes is in the works, which should not change the landscape of the 155lbs division. Both fighters are more likely to agree to fight at 145lbs or at catchweight between 145lb-155lbs. The superfight is speculated to be the headline of an upcoming event in Dubai which will mean that the next title defence could only happen from mid 2016 onwards.
Seems like the waiting time have been increased for the queue of fighters who would like to get a shot at the belt. Below are a shorlist fighters that have been on a winning streak in the One Championship lightweight division.
Lowen Tynanes(7-0) returned to One Championship on Warrior’s Quest and extended his undefeated streak by gaining a unanimous decision win over Kuat Khamitov. With a 3 fight winning streak over formidable opponents in the One Championship 155lbs division, there is no question that he would be the most deserving to be next in line for Aoki’s belt.
Malaysian poster boy Peter Davis(10-3) is on a 4 fight winning streak. Though he finished and dominated all his fights convincingly, he has not fought a powerhouse in the One Championship lightweight division since his loss to Eddie Ng in October 2013. A victory over a huge name would certainly propel Peter straight into a title shot. Former UFC lightweight contender Roger Huerta would make an interesting title eliminator bout for Peter Davis. A main event between these two superstars would easily sell out a stadium in Kuala Lumpur.
Ariel Sexton recently told MMA Latest that he has the One Championship lightweight title belt in his sights. The Costa Rican gained an impressive rear naked choke win despite breaking his arm in the earlier rounds, over Eddie Ng on One Championship: Warrior’s quest. With a 2 fight winning streak in the One Championship lightweight division, a fight against Caros Fodor who is also on a two fight winning streak would be the perfect way for either fighter to move closer towards a title fight. However, it still remains to be seen if Ariel could return by the end of the year.
After losing Vuyisile Colossa on October 2013, former UFC/StrikeForce fighter Caros Fodor returns to winning ways defeating Willy Ni and Vincent Latoel in 2014. With Ariel’s injury still in question, Australian powerhouse Adrian Pang, who is coming off a win over Vincent Latoel would be the only sensible opponent left in the One Championship Lightweight division.
*Live Updates* UFC Winnipeg Official Results
The card begins on UFC Fight Pass at 4:30/1:30 ETPT.
UFC Winnipeg Official Results:
MAIN CARD – FOX – 8PM/5PM ETPT
- #2 Robbie Lawler (28-11) vs. #4 Rafael Dos Anjos (27-9) – Welterweight bout
- Result: Rafael Dos Anjos def. Robbie Lawler via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- #3 Ricardo Lamas (18-5) vs. Josh Emmett (12-1) – Catchweight bout (148.5 lbs)
- Result: Josh Emmett def. Ricardo Lamas via KO (punch) 4:33 round 1
- #10 Santiago Ponzinibbio (25-3) vs. Mike Perry (11-1) – Welterweight bout
- Result: Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Mike Perry via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- #3 Glover Teixeira (26-6) vs. #7 Misha Cirkunov (13-3) – Light Heavyweight bout
- Result: Glover Teixeira def. Misha Cirkunov via TKO (punches) 2:45 round 1
PRELIMINARY CARD – FS1 – 5PM/2PM ETPT
- #14 Jared Cannonier (10-2) vs #15 Jan Blachowicz (20-7) – Light Heavyweight bout
- Result: Jan Blachowicz def. Jared Cannonier via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julian Marquez (6-1) vs. Darren Stewart (7-2) – Middleweight bout
- Result: Julian Marquez def. Darren Stewart via submission (standing guillotine) 2:42 round 2
- Chad Laprise (13-2) vs. Galore Bofando (5-2) – Welterweight bout
- Result: Chad Laprise def. Galore Bofando via TKO (punches) 4:10 round 1
- Nordine Taleb (13-4) vs Danny Roberts (14-2) – Welterweight bout
- Result: Nordine Taleb def. Danny Roberts via KO (head kick and punch) :59 round 1
- John Makdessi (14-6) vs Abel Trujillo (15-7) – Lightweight bout
- Result: John Makdessi def. Abel Trujillo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alessio Di Chirico (10-2) vs Oluwale Bamgbose (6-3) – Middleweight bout
- Result: Alessio Di Chirico def. Oluwale Bamgbose via KO (knee) 2:14 round 2
EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD – UFC FIGHT PASS – 4:30PM/1:30PM ETPT
- Jordan Mein (29-12) vs. Erick Silva (19-8) – Welterweight bout
- Result: Jordan Mein def. Erick Silva via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-26)
Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier Added to UFC Orlando
— UFC Canada (@UFC_CA) December 14, 2017
UFC Orlando will take place at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida on February 24th, 2018.
Eryk Anders vs. Lyoto Machida Officially Headlines UFC Belem
Eryk Anders vs. Lyoto Machida is officially booked to headline UFC Belem in Brazil.
First reported by The MMA Kings (@mma_kings.)
— The MMA Kings (Nolan King) (@mma_kings) December 14, 2017
- Opinion2 months ago
A list of fighters who fought Michael Bisping – while on steroids
- Interviews2 months ago
Sage Northcutt on Moving to Sacramento and Life at Team Alpha Male
- BAMMA1 month ago
BAMMA 32: Official Results and Live Stream
- Interviews2 months ago
Tim Means on Lawsuit Against Supplement Companies “I’m Going to Shut Them Down”
- Cage Warriors2 months ago
- Interviews1 week ago
Exclusive: Alexander Gustafsson eyeing summer 2018 return- wants title shot next
- Interviews2 months ago
Exclusive: Derek Brunson: “Anderson was definitely a little lubed up”
- Bellator2 months ago
Exclusive: Ilima-Lei Macfarlane- from beating ‘Soccer Mom’ to potentially making history